Sep 23, 2012, 7:54 PM EST
He put up especially gaudy numbers against Prince Edward Island today. The young center collected two goals (including the game-winner) and two assists as Halifax pounded P.E.I. 8-1.
If blowouts don’t do much for you, MacKinnon also came up big in the Mooseheads’ season-opener, scoring an overtime game-winner to lead his team past Cape Breton.
He’s earning some all-around brownie points, too.
MacKinnon’s +6 rating can be explained away by weaker competition, but he’s also been dominant on draws. He won nine out of 15 today and went a stunning 21-7 in the faceoff circle on Friday.
(That’s just under 70 percent. Not bad.)
His five points aren’t good enough to lead the league in scoring just yet, though. Teammate Jonathan Drouin has two more points while Buffalo Sabres’ first-rounder Mikhail Grigorenko already has six points for the Quebec Ramparts.
MacKinnon scored 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games last season for Halifax. He seems primed for a much bigger campaign in 2012-13, although he’d have to make a huge jump to truly push the Sidney Crosby comparisons.
Crosby had a whopping 66 goals and 168 points in his second QMJHL season.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (55)