Sep 23, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
He put up especially gaudy numbers against Prince Edward Island today. The young center collected two goals (including the game-winner) and two assists as Halifax pounded P.E.I. 8-1.
If blowouts don’t do much for you, MacKinnon also came up big in the Mooseheads’ season-opener, scoring an overtime game-winner to lead his team past Cape Breton.
He’s earning some all-around brownie points, too.
MacKinnon’s +6 rating can be explained away by weaker competition, but he’s also been dominant on draws. He won nine out of 15 today and went a stunning 21-7 in the faceoff circle on Friday.
(That’s just under 70 percent. Not bad.)
His five points aren’t good enough to lead the league in scoring just yet, though. Teammate Jonathan Drouin has two more points while Buffalo Sabres’ first-rounder Mikhail Grigorenko already has six points for the Quebec Ramparts.
MacKinnon scored 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games last season for Halifax. He seems primed for a much bigger campaign in 2012-13, although he’d have to make a huge jump to truly push the Sidney Crosby comparisons.
Crosby had a whopping 66 goals and 168 points in his second QMJHL season.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 7
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)