Sep 23, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
He put up especially gaudy numbers against Prince Edward Island today. The young center collected two goals (including the game-winner) and two assists as Halifax pounded P.E.I. 8-1.
If blowouts don’t do much for you, MacKinnon also came up big in the Mooseheads’ season-opener, scoring an overtime game-winner to lead his team past Cape Breton.
He’s earning some all-around brownie points, too.
MacKinnon’s +6 rating can be explained away by weaker competition, but he’s also been dominant on draws. He won nine out of 15 today and went a stunning 21-7 in the faceoff circle on Friday.
(That’s just under 70 percent. Not bad.)
His five points aren’t good enough to lead the league in scoring just yet, though. Teammate Jonathan Drouin has two more points while Buffalo Sabres’ first-rounder Mikhail Grigorenko already has six points for the Quebec Ramparts.
MacKinnon scored 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games last season for Halifax. He seems primed for a much bigger campaign in 2012-13, although he’d have to make a huge jump to truly push the Sidney Crosby comparisons.
Crosby had a whopping 66 goals and 168 points in his second QMJHL season.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)