Sep 23, 2012, 12:20 PM EST
While Oilers owner Daryl Katz wants the city to pay more money into the pot for a new arena for the team, the city has been resistant to do so. This has led to Katz rattling his sabre about potentially moving the team if he doesn’t get his way.
Edmonton Journal reporter John MacKinnon penned a column saying how failing to get the deal done will cost Edmonton its team.
While the column is all well and good and features his take on things, a funny thing happened: The Oilers’ official Twitter account re-tweeted the story.
It’s one thing to have the owner make veiled (or obvious) threats about moving the team if he doesn’t get his way, it’s another thing entirely to go full PR push to help advocate for the cause.
The Oilers’ account pulling this move makes you wonder if Katz is getting tips from Miami Marlins owner Jeff Loria on how not to win public support for a project.
Update (2:11 p.m. ET): Surprise to no one, the Oilers have since deleted the Tweet. Nothing goes away on the Internet, gang.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Left the morning skate early.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Been a brutal season injury-wise.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
If it isn’t, it’s on life support.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Sounds like D’Amigo could make his NHL debut tonight.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EST
“He’s working very hard, he’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them.”
Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
They’re 0-for-5 now.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
They’ve been shut out three times in five games.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
The Calgary defenseman was sidelined since Oct. 21.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
He notched a career-high four points Wednesday.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Head coach Patrick Roy hasn’t been happy with his work.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 0
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 42
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (42)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)