Sep 23, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
While Oilers owner Daryl Katz wants the city to pay more money into the pot for a new arena for the team, the city has been resistant to do so. This has led to Katz rattling his sabre about potentially moving the team if he doesn’t get his way.
Edmonton Journal reporter John MacKinnon penned a column saying how failing to get the deal done will cost Edmonton its team.
While the column is all well and good and features his take on things, a funny thing happened: The Oilers’ official Twitter account re-tweeted the story.
It’s one thing to have the owner make veiled (or obvious) threats about moving the team if he doesn’t get his way, it’s another thing entirely to go full PR push to help advocate for the cause.
The Oilers’ account pulling this move makes you wonder if Katz is getting tips from Miami Marlins owner Jeff Loria on how not to win public support for a project.
Update (2:11 p.m. ET): Surprise to no one, the Oilers have since deleted the Tweet. Nothing goes away on the Internet, gang.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)