Sep 23, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
While Oilers owner Daryl Katz wants the city to pay more money into the pot for a new arena for the team, the city has been resistant to do so. This has led to Katz rattling his sabre about potentially moving the team if he doesn’t get his way.
Edmonton Journal reporter John MacKinnon penned a column saying how failing to get the deal done will cost Edmonton its team.
While the column is all well and good and features his take on things, a funny thing happened: The Oilers’ official Twitter account re-tweeted the story.
It’s one thing to have the owner make veiled (or obvious) threats about moving the team if he doesn’t get his way, it’s another thing entirely to go full PR push to help advocate for the cause.
The Oilers’ account pulling this move makes you wonder if Katz is getting tips from Miami Marlins owner Jeff Loria on how not to win public support for a project.
Update (2:11 p.m. ET): Surprise to no one, the Oilers have since deleted the Tweet. Nothing goes away on the Internet, gang.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)