Sep 23, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals star scored his first goal in his second game back overseas, but it’s another stat that should leave fans even more excited. Ovechkin hammered a staggering 11 shots on net in that contest, although his Dynamo Moscow team fell to Ilya Kovalchuk‘s SKA St. Petersburg 3-1.
Kovalchuk notched an assist in his season debut, playing 18:33 of ice time compared to Ovechkin, who logged almost 24 minutes.
If those numbers don’t hammer home a return to form, Ovechkin also turned some heads by throwing around his body in his first game on Thursday:
Quick question: how do you feel about Ovechkin wearing No. 32? Seems strangely fitting for a guy who occasionally clobbers people like an NFL strong safety.
Bonus bit from the contest: former Buffalo Sabres speedster Maxim Afinogenov scored the game-winning goal.
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 8
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24