Sep 23, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals star scored his first goal in his second game back overseas, but it’s another stat that should leave fans even more excited. Ovechkin hammered a staggering 11 shots on net in that contest, although his Dynamo Moscow team fell to Ilya Kovalchuk‘s SKA St. Petersburg 3-1.
Kovalchuk notched an assist in his season debut, playing 18:33 of ice time compared to Ovechkin, who logged almost 24 minutes.
If those numbers don’t hammer home a return to form, Ovechkin also turned some heads by throwing around his body in his first game on Thursday:
Quick question: how do you feel about Ovechkin wearing No. 32? Seems strangely fitting for a guy who occasionally clobbers people like an NFL strong safety.
Bonus bit from the contest: former Buffalo Sabres speedster Maxim Afinogenov scored the game-winning goal.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32