Sep 23, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals star scored his first goal in his second game back overseas, but it’s another stat that should leave fans even more excited. Ovechkin hammered a staggering 11 shots on net in that contest, although his Dynamo Moscow team fell to Ilya Kovalchuk‘s SKA St. Petersburg 3-1.
Kovalchuk notched an assist in his season debut, playing 18:33 of ice time compared to Ovechkin, who logged almost 24 minutes.
If those numbers don’t hammer home a return to form, Ovechkin also turned some heads by throwing around his body in his first game on Thursday:
Quick question: how do you feel about Ovechkin wearing No. 32? Seems strangely fitting for a guy who occasionally clobbers people like an NFL strong safety.
Bonus bit from the contest: former Buffalo Sabres speedster Maxim Afinogenov scored the game-winning goal.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 40
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 15
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead