Sep 23, 2012, 6:28 PM EST
The Washington Capitals star scored his first goal in his second game back overseas, but it’s another stat that should leave fans even more excited. Ovechkin hammered a staggering 11 shots on net in that contest, although his Dynamo Moscow team fell to Ilya Kovalchuk‘s SKA St. Petersburg 3-1.
Kovalchuk notched an assist in his season debut, playing 18:33 of ice time compared to Ovechkin, who logged almost 24 minutes.
If those numbers don’t hammer home a return to form, Ovechkin also turned some heads by throwing around his body in his first game on Thursday:
Quick question: how do you feel about Ovechkin wearing No. 32? Seems strangely fitting for a guy who occasionally clobbers people like an NFL strong safety.
Bonus bit from the contest: former Buffalo Sabres speedster Maxim Afinogenov scored the game-winning goal.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)