Sep 23, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
If this site were called KHL Talk, it’s possible we might go overboard in talking about Evgeni Malkin‘s slow start for Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Instead, we’ll look on curiously from afar.
Malkin tells rsport.ru that the excitement of playing at home has him eager to pot his first goal of the season.
“It’s not worth panicking. I haven’t got into my good form yet,” Malkin said. “The goals will come, the main thing is not to get worried.”
Malkin says he’s playing at about 70 percent right now. Getting in shape for the NHL season is one thing, dropping everything to get to Russia thanks to a lockout is something else entirely.
Keep in mind that while the KHL season is already underway, NHL training camps would be just starting this week with the first preseason game dropping the puck tonight if it wasn’t for that pesky work stoppage.
For Malkin, he’s getting his preseason rust out in actual games. Wonder what the Penguins’ staff would think about doing that under normal conditions.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)