Sep 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
As NHL veterans start to play overseas, there’s one group that will have a particularly hard time landing jobs: goaltenders.
Although some of them will be able to spend the lockout in Europe, finding a team looking to integrate a new goaltender into their roster — especially one that might leave mid-season if a new CBA is signed — might be more difficult than finding a team open to adding a forward or defenseman to their squad.
“I can’t speak for the other goalies, but I’ve been looking at this situation for the last six weeks and trying to put a Plan B in place,” said Anderson’s agent, Justin Duberman. “There’s just not a lot of jobs out there right now for goalies. When teams were signing during the free agency in Europe, they weren’t planning for a lockout.
“There were a couple of teams in Switzerland that left some import spots open that would have already been filled just in case they could sign an NHL forward or defenceman. For the goalie position, teams really don’t operate that way. That’s been a big challenge.”
Anderson had a 2.83 GAA and .914 save percentage in 63 games last season. He also helped the Ottawa Senators play evenly against the New York Rangers in the first round, although the Senators ultimately lost the series in seven games.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)