Sep 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
As NHL veterans start to play overseas, there’s one group that will have a particularly hard time landing jobs: goaltenders.
Although some of them will be able to spend the lockout in Europe, finding a team looking to integrate a new goaltender into their roster — especially one that might leave mid-season if a new CBA is signed — might be more difficult than finding a team open to adding a forward or defenseman to their squad.
“I can’t speak for the other goalies, but I’ve been looking at this situation for the last six weeks and trying to put a Plan B in place,” said Anderson’s agent, Justin Duberman. “There’s just not a lot of jobs out there right now for goalies. When teams were signing during the free agency in Europe, they weren’t planning for a lockout.
“There were a couple of teams in Switzerland that left some import spots open that would have already been filled just in case they could sign an NHL forward or defenceman. For the goalie position, teams really don’t operate that way. That’s been a big challenge.”
Anderson had a 2.83 GAA and .914 save percentage in 63 games last season. He also helped the Ottawa Senators play evenly against the New York Rangers in the first round, although the Senators ultimately lost the series in seven games.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)