Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne is tackling being locked out a bit differently.
While other players are heading overseas or headed to the AHL, according to Cam Tucker of The Vancouver Sun the big blue liner is going to try his hand at coaching. He’ll be instructing the kids of the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL and head coach Bill Bestwick couldn’t be happier to have him.
“His ability to connect and his ability to teach the nuances of his trade and craft will be invaluable,” Bestwick said.
O’Byrne can also teach the kids how to play tough, physical defense and he can also tell them about the perils of putting a puck into your own net or getting hung out to dry by your teammates at a local night spot.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 0
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22