Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne is tackling being locked out a bit differently.
While other players are heading overseas or headed to the AHL, according to Cam Tucker of The Vancouver Sun the big blue liner is going to try his hand at coaching. He’ll be instructing the kids of the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL and head coach Bill Bestwick couldn’t be happier to have him.
“His ability to connect and his ability to teach the nuances of his trade and craft will be invaluable,” Bestwick said.
O’Byrne can also teach the kids how to play tough, physical defense and he can also tell them about the perils of putting a puck into your own net or getting hung out to dry by your teammates at a local night spot.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)