Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne is tackling being locked out a bit differently.
While other players are heading overseas or headed to the AHL, according to Cam Tucker of The Vancouver Sun the big blue liner is going to try his hand at coaching. He’ll be instructing the kids of the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL and head coach Bill Bestwick couldn’t be happier to have him.
“His ability to connect and his ability to teach the nuances of his trade and craft will be invaluable,” Bestwick said.
O’Byrne can also teach the kids how to play tough, physical defense and he can also tell them about the perils of putting a puck into your own net or getting hung out to dry by your teammates at a local night spot.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54