Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne is tackling being locked out a bit differently.
While other players are heading overseas or headed to the AHL, according to Cam Tucker of The Vancouver Sun the big blue liner is going to try his hand at coaching. He’ll be instructing the kids of the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL and head coach Bill Bestwick couldn’t be happier to have him.
“His ability to connect and his ability to teach the nuances of his trade and craft will be invaluable,” Bestwick said.
O’Byrne can also teach the kids how to play tough, physical defense and he can also tell them about the perils of putting a puck into your own net or getting hung out to dry by your teammates at a local night spot.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)