Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Avalanche defenseman Ryan O’Byrne is tackling being locked out a bit differently.
While other players are heading overseas or headed to the AHL, according to Cam Tucker of The Vancouver Sun the big blue liner is going to try his hand at coaching. He’ll be instructing the kids of the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL and head coach Bill Bestwick couldn’t be happier to have him.
“His ability to connect and his ability to teach the nuances of his trade and craft will be invaluable,” Bestwick said.
O’Byrne can also teach the kids how to play tough, physical defense and he can also tell them about the perils of putting a puck into your own net or getting hung out to dry by your teammates at a local night spot.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)