Sep 23, 2012, 9:21 PM EDT
While the lockout leaves a lot of prime-age NHL players in a holding pattern, there’s also a subset of fringe guys who wonder if they’ll ever play at the highest level again.
The Pittsburgh Penguins allowed former backup goalie Brent Johnson to walk, prompting him to tell CSNWashington.com that he’s worried that his career might be in jeopardy.
“I’m up in the air,” Johnson said. “We’ll see what happens if and when everything starts up.
Yeah, I’m concerned, but at my age you start looking at the future and what you’re going to do next. Lockout or not, I still would have been in the same spot.”
The 35-year-old netminder seemed to lose the Penguins’ confidence in his third and final campaign with the team.
After two straight seasons with 23 games played, he appeared in just 16 last season. The Penguins only used him in relief once during the playoffs even though Marc-Andre Fleury allowed a staggering 26 goals in six contests.
Still, there’s a chance another team might give him a gander if they need a cheap backup. He’s only one year removed from posting an impressive .922 save percentage and his career numbers are respectable.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)