Sep 22, 2012, 1:57 PM EST
Derek Boogaard’s sad saga has reportedly taken another turn.
TMZ reports Boogaard’s family has filed a lawsuit against the NHLPA for failing to help them recover the balance on his contract with the New York Rangers.
According to USA Today, the players’ union has a bit of a different take on things.
“We are saddened to read reports that the parents of the late Derek Boogaard have filed a lawsuit against the NHLPA,” the union said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. “We have not been served with or seen a copy of the complaint, but we are confident that there is no meritorious claim that can be made against the NHLPA in regard to Derek’s tragic death.”
The union said they won’t be commenting further on the case.
Boogaard died last May due to a mix of pain killers and alcohol. His parents believe trainers and doctors were negligent by continuing to feed his addiction to pills.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 23
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 9
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 38
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (38)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)