Sep 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Unlike the Florida Panthers’ mascot, Stanley C. Panther, Vancouver Canucks mascot Fin still has a job. However, his work week and pay have been cut, based on a Vancouver Province report.
Fin will now work four days a week and take a 20% pay cut, along with all of the roughly 120 staff members working at the Canucks’ front-office. This lockout will also impact the roughly 1,000 people that work at Rogers Arena.
“Canucks games are the biggest blocks of work in the building,” Unite-Here’s Jim Pearson said. “For a lot of people it’s a secondary job, but for people such as cooks and warehouse people, for example, it’s fulltime work.
“Then there’s the people who are often overlooked, people who work in restaurants in the area, hotels in the area.”
Unite-Here represents roughly 700 people who are employed by the food-services company Aramark, which supplies Rogers Arena.
For now, Fin said he’ll “be busy at community events and keeping our brand out there.”
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)