Sep 22, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter went from leaving the Calgary Flames in disgrace to joining the Los Angeles Kings as their head coach and leading them to the Stanley Cup. After all that, he’s still farming instead of kicking off training camp.
“It was really good and then we had some hail here in August that knocked it out a bit,” Sutter told the Los Angeles Times. “But it’s pretty good.”
Sutter has continued to visit Los Angeles over the summer, but he can’t start to defend the Cup until the lockout’s over.
“It’s just unsettling because you don’t know your timeline,” Sutter said. “As a coach you’re giving the players a target that they always want to work on for their training and we should have had our medicals [Friday].
“The worst part, quite honestly, from a coaching standpoint about all of this is you’re not allowed contact with your players. That’s just something that for me is important because you know what, the relationships that you have with them, you want to be able to talk to them and now you can’t.”
With that in mind, he plans to remain in Alberta until he has a better idea of what’s going on or Kings GM Dean Lombardi gives him an assignment.
If there’s a silver lining to all of this from the Kings’ perspective, it’s that with all of September’s preseason games canceled, the Los Angeles Kings will get a bit more time to recover after their long playoff run.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)