Sep 22, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter went from leaving the Calgary Flames in disgrace to joining the Los Angeles Kings as their head coach and leading them to the Stanley Cup. After all that, he’s still farming instead of kicking off training camp.
“It was really good and then we had some hail here in August that knocked it out a bit,” Sutter told the Los Angeles Times. “But it’s pretty good.”
Sutter has continued to visit Los Angeles over the summer, but he can’t start to defend the Cup until the lockout’s over.
“It’s just unsettling because you don’t know your timeline,” Sutter said. “As a coach you’re giving the players a target that they always want to work on for their training and we should have had our medicals [Friday].
“The worst part, quite honestly, from a coaching standpoint about all of this is you’re not allowed contact with your players. That’s just something that for me is important because you know what, the relationships that you have with them, you want to be able to talk to them and now you can’t.”
With that in mind, he plans to remain in Alberta until he has a better idea of what’s going on or Kings GM Dean Lombardi gives him an assignment.
If there’s a silver lining to all of this from the Kings’ perspective, it’s that with all of September’s preseason games canceled, the Los Angeles Kings will get a bit more time to recover after their long playoff run.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)