Sep 21, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
Seidenberg and Goc were two of just seven German players to appear in the NHL last season, so it came as no real surprise they’d return to their native land for the lockout. Seindenberg hinted at a return to Mannheim back in late August:
The added allure of Mannheim is the club also employs Seidenberg’s brother, Yanick.
“It would be nice to play with him if it gets to that point,” Seidenberg said. “But for now, I haven’t really put enough thought into it to say what I’m going to do.”
Seidenberg spent three years with Mannheim before joining the Flyers organization in 2002. He opted not to play in Germany during the 2004-05 lockout — he spent the year with Philly’s AHL affiliate — but could be swayed to return this time around.
Goc also has ties to the Mannheim organization, having played there in the two years prior to coming to North America. His brother, Nikolai, is a defenseman with the team.
According to the team website, Goc flew to Germany on Thursday and hopes to be training with Mannheim early next week. Seidenberg’s arrival date has yet to be finalized.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)