Sep 21, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Seidenberg and Goc were two of just seven German players to appear in the NHL last season, so it came as no real surprise they’d return to their native land for the lockout. Seindenberg hinted at a return to Mannheim back in late August:
The added allure of Mannheim is the club also employs Seidenberg’s brother, Yanick.
“It would be nice to play with him if it gets to that point,” Seidenberg said. “But for now, I haven’t really put enough thought into it to say what I’m going to do.”
Seidenberg spent three years with Mannheim before joining the Flyers organization in 2002. He opted not to play in Germany during the 2004-05 lockout — he spent the year with Philly’s AHL affiliate — but could be swayed to return this time around.
Goc also has ties to the Mannheim organization, having played there in the two years prior to coming to North America. His brother, Nikolai, is a defenseman with the team.
According to the team website, Goc flew to Germany on Thursday and hopes to be training with Mannheim early next week. Seidenberg’s arrival date has yet to be finalized.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)