Sep 21, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Seidenberg and Goc were two of just seven German players to appear in the NHL last season, so it came as no real surprise they’d return to their native land for the lockout. Seindenberg hinted at a return to Mannheim back in late August:
The added allure of Mannheim is the club also employs Seidenberg’s brother, Yanick.
“It would be nice to play with him if it gets to that point,” Seidenberg said. “But for now, I haven’t really put enough thought into it to say what I’m going to do.”
Seidenberg spent three years with Mannheim before joining the Flyers organization in 2002. He opted not to play in Germany during the 2004-05 lockout — he spent the year with Philly’s AHL affiliate — but could be swayed to return this time around.
Goc also has ties to the Mannheim organization, having played there in the two years prior to coming to North America. His brother, Nikolai, is a defenseman with the team.
According to the team website, Goc flew to Germany on Thursday and hopes to be training with Mannheim early next week. Seidenberg’s arrival date has yet to be finalized.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)