Sep 21, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Seidenberg and Goc were two of just seven German players to appear in the NHL last season, so it came as no real surprise they’d return to their native land for the lockout. Seindenberg hinted at a return to Mannheim back in late August:
The added allure of Mannheim is the club also employs Seidenberg’s brother, Yanick.
“It would be nice to play with him if it gets to that point,” Seidenberg said. “But for now, I haven’t really put enough thought into it to say what I’m going to do.”
Seidenberg spent three years with Mannheim before joining the Flyers organization in 2002. He opted not to play in Germany during the 2004-05 lockout — he spent the year with Philly’s AHL affiliate — but could be swayed to return this time around.
Goc also has ties to the Mannheim organization, having played there in the two years prior to coming to North America. His brother, Nikolai, is a defenseman with the team.
According to the team website, Goc flew to Germany on Thursday and hopes to be training with Mannheim early next week. Seidenberg’s arrival date has yet to be finalized.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)