Sep 21, 2012, 11:01 PM EST
The NHLPA and NHL have both made their case to the Alberta Labour Relations Board regarding the legality of the lockout. Now both sides must wait for their ruling, which isn’t expected to be delivered until early next week, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The NHLPA wants the Alberta to force the league to stop the lockout in when it comes to the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers players. Their argument is that an employer can’t lock out its employees in the province without first undergoing two weeks of mediation.
The NHL argued that the fact that this is a 30-team league — with 23 squads based in the United States — that they should all operate under the same rules, according to the Canadian Press. The NHL’s side also argued that the union has only bargained with the league as opposed to individual teams.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also said it would be “extremely destabilizing to how we do business” if the board rules in favor of the union.
Meanwhile, the NHL and union are gearing up to make their cases to the Quebec Labour Relations Board on Oct. 15. Of course, if the lockout is still going at that point, it would mean that we’ve already missed the start of the regular season.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)