Sep 21, 2012, 11:01 PM EST
The NHLPA and NHL have both made their case to the Alberta Labour Relations Board regarding the legality of the lockout. Now both sides must wait for their ruling, which isn’t expected to be delivered until early next week, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The NHLPA wants the Alberta to force the league to stop the lockout in when it comes to the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers players. Their argument is that an employer can’t lock out its employees in the province without first undergoing two weeks of mediation.
The NHL argued that the fact that this is a 30-team league — with 23 squads based in the United States — that they should all operate under the same rules, according to the Canadian Press. The NHL’s side also argued that the union has only bargained with the league as opposed to individual teams.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also said it would be “extremely destabilizing to how we do business” if the board rules in favor of the union.
Meanwhile, the NHL and union are gearing up to make their cases to the Quebec Labour Relations Board on Oct. 15. Of course, if the lockout is still going at that point, it would mean that we’ve already missed the start of the regular season.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)