Sep 21, 2012, 11:01 PM EST
The NHLPA and NHL have both made their case to the Alberta Labour Relations Board regarding the legality of the lockout. Now both sides must wait for their ruling, which isn’t expected to be delivered until early next week, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The NHLPA wants the Alberta to force the league to stop the lockout in when it comes to the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers players. Their argument is that an employer can’t lock out its employees in the province without first undergoing two weeks of mediation.
The NHL argued that the fact that this is a 30-team league — with 23 squads based in the United States — that they should all operate under the same rules, according to the Canadian Press. The NHL’s side also argued that the union has only bargained with the league as opposed to individual teams.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also said it would be “extremely destabilizing to how we do business” if the board rules in favor of the union.
Meanwhile, the NHL and union are gearing up to make their cases to the Quebec Labour Relations Board on Oct. 15. Of course, if the lockout is still going at that point, it would mean that we’ve already missed the start of the regular season.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)