Sep 21, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
The NHLPA and NHL have both made their case to the Alberta Labour Relations Board regarding the legality of the lockout. Now both sides must wait for their ruling, which isn’t expected to be delivered until early next week, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The NHLPA wants the Alberta to force the league to stop the lockout in when it comes to the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers players. Their argument is that an employer can’t lock out its employees in the province without first undergoing two weeks of mediation.
The NHL argued that the fact that this is a 30-team league — with 23 squads based in the United States — that they should all operate under the same rules, according to the Canadian Press. The NHL’s side also argued that the union has only bargained with the league as opposed to individual teams.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also said it would be “extremely destabilizing to how we do business” if the board rules in favor of the union.
Meanwhile, the NHL and union are gearing up to make their cases to the Quebec Labour Relations Board on Oct. 15. Of course, if the lockout is still going at that point, it would mean that we’ve already missed the start of the regular season.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)