Sep 21, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur isn’t ready to to rule out the possibility the NHL and NHLPA can come together on a new CBA sooner rather than later. As such, the future Hall of Fame goalie plans to stick around for a bit before he takes a job overseas.
“I’m going to wait it out until October, when they’re going to start slashing games, and try to have a sense of where it’s going,” Brodeur, 40, told ESPN Thursday. “I know I’m closing doors in Europe now because I’m going to wait a little bit, but I’d like to go somewhere to play by November if I can get an opportunity somewhere. Right now, I have no intention of going because while there’s still lines of communication [between the NHL and NHLPA], it’s still a positive thing.”
This is the fourth time Brodeur’s been involved in an NHL work stoppage (three lockouts and a strike), so his reluctance to go to Europe straight away could be seen as a positive sign. Remember that for the first few months of the 2004-05 lockout, the two sides didn’t speak at all. Perhaps he feels the divide is narrower this time and a resolution more likely.
Of course, his reluctance to go to Europe may also be related to other factors. For instance, after leading the Devils all the way to the Stanley Cup finals in June, he’s had less time to rest than most NHLers. Plus, we doubt he needs the money.
Brodeur stayed in North America during the 2004-05 lockout.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)