Sep 21, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur isn’t ready to to rule out the possibility the NHL and NHLPA can come together on a new CBA sooner rather than later. As such, the future Hall of Fame goalie plans to stick around for a bit before he takes a job overseas.
“I’m going to wait it out until October, when they’re going to start slashing games, and try to have a sense of where it’s going,” Brodeur, 40, told ESPN Thursday. “I know I’m closing doors in Europe now because I’m going to wait a little bit, but I’d like to go somewhere to play by November if I can get an opportunity somewhere. Right now, I have no intention of going because while there’s still lines of communication [between the NHL and NHLPA], it’s still a positive thing.”
This is the fourth time Brodeur’s been involved in an NHL work stoppage (three lockouts and a strike), so his reluctance to go to Europe straight away could be seen as a positive sign. Remember that for the first few months of the 2004-05 lockout, the two sides didn’t speak at all. Perhaps he feels the divide is narrower this time and a resolution more likely.
Of course, his reluctance to go to Europe may also be related to other factors. For instance, after leading the Devils all the way to the Stanley Cup finals in June, he’s had less time to rest than most NHLers. Plus, we doubt he needs the money.
Brodeur stayed in North America during the 2004-05 lockout.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)