Sep 21, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Martin Brodeur isn’t ready to to rule out the possibility the NHL and NHLPA can come together on a new CBA sooner rather than later. As such, the future Hall of Fame goalie plans to stick around for a bit before he takes a job overseas.
“I’m going to wait it out until October, when they’re going to start slashing games, and try to have a sense of where it’s going,” Brodeur, 40, told ESPN Thursday. “I know I’m closing doors in Europe now because I’m going to wait a little bit, but I’d like to go somewhere to play by November if I can get an opportunity somewhere. Right now, I have no intention of going because while there’s still lines of communication [between the NHL and NHLPA], it’s still a positive thing.”
This is the fourth time Brodeur’s been involved in an NHL work stoppage (three lockouts and a strike), so his reluctance to go to Europe straight away could be seen as a positive sign. Remember that for the first few months of the 2004-05 lockout, the two sides didn’t speak at all. Perhaps he feels the divide is narrower this time and a resolution more likely.
Of course, his reluctance to go to Europe may also be related to other factors. For instance, after leading the Devils all the way to the Stanley Cup finals in June, he’s had less time to rest than most NHLers. Plus, we doubt he needs the money.
Brodeur stayed in North America during the 2004-05 lockout.
- Devils fire DeBoer 4
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 7
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)