Sep 21, 2012, 3:34 PM EST
On Wednesday, Kladno played Slavia in a game featuring Jagr, Tomas Plekanec, Jiri Tlusty, Marek Zidlicky, Roman Cervenka and Vladimir Sobotka. With so much NHL star power involved, the contest was moved to the O2 Arena in Prague so that nearly 16,000 fans could attend.
According to the Times, free bus rides were provided to shuttle supporters from Kladno to Prague.
But the game almost didn’t get played due to sticky rules involving IIHF transfer cards — and that’s when the NHL lent a helping hand.
It took an act of cooperation from the N.H.L. to make the game happen. The six N.H.L. players were nearly unable to play because they were waiting for their international transfer cards to be processed. The procedure requires obtaining signatures from the incoming and outgoing national hockey federations, which assure that the player is not in violation of any contractual obligations.
Jagr said come Wednesday morning the players did not know if they would be able to play.
“We were ready to cancel this game,” he said.
To expedite the process, Jagr had made a late phone call Tuesday to his former Rangers teammate Brendan Shanahan, who is now an N.H.L. vice president.
“I have to say thanks to Brendan Shanahan who helped me a lot,” Jagr said. “Shanahan did a great job and put Gary Bettman and Bill Daly on the phone, and eventually we were able to play.”
Awfully nice to see a moment of cooperation in the middle of labor ugliness, no?
/hums theme song to Family Ties
//sha la la laaaaa
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)