Sep 21, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Erik Karlsson would like to spend the lockout playing for his former team, Frolunda of the Swedish Elite League.
SEL originally blocked locked-out NHLers from signing with their clubs, but Sweden’s Competition Authority has overruled them.
Still, Karlsson has at least one more meaningful roadblock standing between him and a return to Frolunda. He has to insure his recently inked seven-year/$45.5 million contract, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
“I don’t want to put them in debt or anything,” Karlsson said. “I want to make them a better team if I come. I don’t want it to be unfair for anyone.”
Karlsson had 10 points in 45 games with Frolunda in 2008-09. Since then, he’s become one of the NHL’s best offensive defenseman.
Now he has the opportunity to return to Frolunda and win a title with them, like Daniel Alfredsson did during the 2004-05 lockout.
“There may not be another time that I have a chance to play there again,” Karlsson said. “Just right here, right now, and if I can take that opportunity, I will.”
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 0
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 2
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 14
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 45
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)