Sep 21, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
Jim Devellano thinks Gary Bettman gets a raw deal from fans and media.
Devellano, the Red Wings’ senior vice president and alternate governor, said as much (and much, much more) in an exclusive and extensive interview with Island Sports News.
According to Devellano, the commissioner is only doing what the owners direct him to do and doesn’t deserve to be everyone’s favorite whipping boy.
“Don’t forget too that these owners aren’t dumb guys and they are very aggressive men who run multi-million and multi-billion dollar companies,” he said. “They want results and don’t want to hear excuses and complaints as to what their employees may want.”
Devellano also believes the Flyers broke an unwritten rule by presenting an offer sheet to Shea Weber and forcing the small-market Predators to either match a massively front-loaded deal or watch their captain walk away.
But we won’t steal all the good parts of the interview. Go read it yourself.
PS — He also calls the players “cattle” and the owners “ranchers.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25