Sep 21, 2012, 4:29 PM EST
Jim Devellano thinks Gary Bettman gets a raw deal from fans and media.
Devellano, the Red Wings’ senior vice president and alternate governor, said as much (and much, much more) in an exclusive and extensive interview with Island Sports News.
According to Devellano, the commissioner is only doing what the owners direct him to do and doesn’t deserve to be everyone’s favorite whipping boy.
“Don’t forget too that these owners aren’t dumb guys and they are very aggressive men who run multi-million and multi-billion dollar companies,” he said. “They want results and don’t want to hear excuses and complaints as to what their employees may want.”
Devellano also believes the Flyers broke an unwritten rule by presenting an offer sheet to Shea Weber and forcing the small-market Predators to either match a massively front-loaded deal or watch their captain walk away.
But we won’t steal all the good parts of the interview. Go read it yourself.
PS — He also calls the players “cattle” and the owners “ranchers.”
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35