Sep 20, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Kimmo Timonen doesn’t have many seasons left in what’s been an excellent NHL career. The Flyers’ defenseman is 37 years old and among the top 30 oldest players in the league.
Suffice to say he really doesn’t want to lose the season to a lockout. He already went through that in 2004-05, and he wasn’t close to retirement then.
In fact, if there’s no 2012-13 season, Timonen says he might’ve played his last game in the NHL.
“I feel like I am in great shape, but to be honest if this thing drags on another two or three months who knows, I might lose my motivation and we will see what happens after,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer Wednesday.
Maybe Timonen is bluffing. Flyers owner Ed Snider certainly doesn’t want to see his best healthy defenseman retire. Not when Philly’s blue line is already a massive concern.
However, it’s worth noting that Timonen’s already received $35 million of his front-loaded $38 million contract. Would he be willing to stay in shape and come back next season for $3 million?
For now, Timonen’s toeing the “this is about the future” party line.
“Hopefully they can get together and get the deal done,” he said.
(Note: We linked to this story in the Morning Skate, but we felt it was worth discussing further.)
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 0
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 16
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)