Sep 20, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
The first contest will be held in Chateauguay, a suburb of Montreal, and will feature a number of Francophone NHL players: Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury and Kris Letang, Montreal’s David Desharnais and Mathieu Darche and St. Louis’ David Perron.
The games are scheduled to take place on a weekly basis and the cost of tickets will be $20.
RDS reports that all proceeds will go to charity.
The so-called “caravan” league is a spinoff of an idea hatched by ex-NHLer Joel Bouchard during the last lockout.
He created the McDonald’s Caravan, a 16-weekend tour of four-on-four hockey that featured the likes of Jose Theodore, Simon Gagne, J.S. Giguere, Yanic Perreault and Alexandre Daigle. The league toured throughout Quebec and all proceeds went to charity, leaving a lasting legacy on a number of French-Canadian players.
“They traveled and called it the caravan and they traveled all over Quebec with different games every weekend,” Briere said. “I didn’t get to participate in that because I was in Switzerland, but it was a lot of fun from what I heard.”
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 0
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 18
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 3
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 17
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)