Sep 20, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
The first contest will be held in Chateauguay, a suburb of Montreal, and will feature a number of Francophone NHL players: Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury and Kris Letang, Montreal’s David Desharnais and Mathieu Darche and St. Louis’ David Perron.
The games are scheduled to take place on a weekly basis and the cost of tickets will be $20.
RDS reports that all proceeds will go to charity.
The so-called “caravan” league is a spinoff of an idea hatched by ex-NHLer Joel Bouchard during the last lockout.
He created the McDonald’s Caravan, a 16-weekend tour of four-on-four hockey that featured the likes of Jose Theodore, Simon Gagne, J.S. Giguere, Yanic Perreault and Alexandre Daigle. The league toured throughout Quebec and all proceeds went to charity, leaving a lasting legacy on a number of French-Canadian players.
“They traveled and called it the caravan and they traveled all over Quebec with different games every weekend,” Briere said. “I didn’t get to participate in that because I was in Switzerland, but it was a lot of fun from what I heard.”
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 12
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 13
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 18
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 68
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 100
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger