Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Amen, Bobby Orr.
The hockey legend pretty much nailed it Thursday morning on Toronto television when asked how he’d solve the NHL lockout.
“I know what I’d do with them,” Orr said. “I’d put them in a room with bread and water and say, ‘Now you stay in there until you make a deal.’”
“It would be outrageous not to have a season,” he added.
So outrageous, in fact, that Orr believes there will be a season.
“I think we’ll get most of the season in,” said Orr. “[Donald Fehr] and [Gary Bettman] are two smart guys, and there’s so much good in our game right now. From talent, the L.A. market winning the Stanley Cup, the Rangers are going to be strong, there’s so many young players, TV contracts – there’s a lot at stake here. I think it can be done.”
Hopefully he’s right.
Though it still might be worth locking them in a room with bread and water.
And if that doesn’t work, take away the bread and water.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)