Sep 20, 2012, 8:02 PM EST
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz’s group rejected an offer to meet with the local city council to revise plans for a new arena.
Here is a full statement from the team, via Katz Group exec John D. Karvellas:
“While we appreciate the Mayor’s invitation, we do not think such a meeting can be productive until we have reduced the outstanding issues. As we have said previously, we remain committed to working constructively with City Administration to reach an agreement and would be pleased to go before Council with Administration to present a comprehensive and mutually supported proposal, or even a proposal with one or two significant issues still to be resolved. Then, Council can review the proposal and either approve or reject it as it sees fit.”
Columnist David Staples’ initial reaction is that the press release is confusing, but believes that the Katz Group is trying to negotiate with the city a bit before holding an actual meeting.
Staples thinks it’s actually a good sign in the grand scheme of things. Even so, Staples believes that they should ultimately honor the city’s request – either publicly or privately.
David Staples (@dstaples) September 20, 2012
Until then, there might be some tension in the air.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)