Sep 20, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz’s group rejected an offer to meet with the local city council to revise plans for a new arena.
Here is a full statement from the team, via Katz Group exec John D. Karvellas:
“While we appreciate the Mayor’s invitation, we do not think such a meeting can be productive until we have reduced the outstanding issues. As we have said previously, we remain committed to working constructively with City Administration to reach an agreement and would be pleased to go before Council with Administration to present a comprehensive and mutually supported proposal, or even a proposal with one or two significant issues still to be resolved. Then, Council can review the proposal and either approve or reject it as it sees fit.”
Columnist David Staples’ initial reaction is that the press release is confusing, but believes that the Katz Group is trying to negotiate with the city a bit before holding an actual meeting.
Staples thinks it’s actually a good sign in the grand scheme of things. Even so, Staples believes that they should ultimately honor the city’s request – either publicly or privately.
David Staples (@dstaples) September 20, 2012
Until then, there might be some tension in the air.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)