Sep 20, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz’s group rejected an offer to meet with the local city council to revise plans for a new arena.
Here is a full statement from the team, via Katz Group exec John D. Karvellas:
“While we appreciate the Mayor’s invitation, we do not think such a meeting can be productive until we have reduced the outstanding issues. As we have said previously, we remain committed to working constructively with City Administration to reach an agreement and would be pleased to go before Council with Administration to present a comprehensive and mutually supported proposal, or even a proposal with one or two significant issues still to be resolved. Then, Council can review the proposal and either approve or reject it as it sees fit.”
Columnist David Staples’ initial reaction is that the press release is confusing, but believes that the Katz Group is trying to negotiate with the city a bit before holding an actual meeting.
Staples thinks it’s actually a good sign in the grand scheme of things. Even so, Staples believes that they should ultimately honor the city’s request – either publicly or privately.
David Staples (@dstaples) September 20, 2012
Until then, there might be some tension in the air.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)