Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
In August, news broke from the NHL’s Rule Enforcement Meetings that the creation of a “divers list” — a log of the league’s most frequent fakers — was in the works.
Now, one of the names on that list has gone public.
“Kesler has been identified as an offender,” Dreger explains. “While Kesler plays the game hard, he has been known to exaggerate contact to gain an advantage.”
Chicago’s Dan Carcillo and Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin were also mentioned in Dreger’s report. Both had instances during the playoffs (Carcillo in 2010, Malkin this past April) that drew criticism for “trying to mislead referees.”
Along with Kesler, the trio could face some serious humiliation for their antics once play resumes.
Everything from posting pictures of each culprit in every NHL dressing room to re-instituting a fine system, or simply tacking on an additional two-minute penalty to offset the original call is being discussed by hockey operations and will at some point be presented to all NHL general managers for further discussion.
We were unable to confirm, but rumors suggest this will be the Kesler pic:
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)