Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
In August, news broke from the NHL’s Rule Enforcement Meetings that the creation of a “divers list” — a log of the league’s most frequent fakers — was in the works.
Now, one of the names on that list has gone public.
“Kesler has been identified as an offender,” Dreger explains. “While Kesler plays the game hard, he has been known to exaggerate contact to gain an advantage.”
Chicago’s Dan Carcillo and Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin were also mentioned in Dreger’s report. Both had instances during the playoffs (Carcillo in 2010, Malkin this past April) that drew criticism for “trying to mislead referees.”
Along with Kesler, the trio could face some serious humiliation for their antics once play resumes.
Everything from posting pictures of each culprit in every NHL dressing room to re-instituting a fine system, or simply tacking on an additional two-minute penalty to offset the original call is being discussed by hockey operations and will at some point be presented to all NHL general managers for further discussion.
We were unable to confirm, but rumors suggest this will be the Kesler pic:
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)