Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
In August, news broke from the NHL’s Rule Enforcement Meetings that the creation of a “divers list” — a log of the league’s most frequent fakers — was in the works.
Now, one of the names on that list has gone public.
“Kesler has been identified as an offender,” Dreger explains. “While Kesler plays the game hard, he has been known to exaggerate contact to gain an advantage.”
Chicago’s Dan Carcillo and Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin were also mentioned in Dreger’s report. Both had instances during the playoffs (Carcillo in 2010, Malkin this past April) that drew criticism for “trying to mislead referees.”
Along with Kesler, the trio could face some serious humiliation for their antics once play resumes.
Everything from posting pictures of each culprit in every NHL dressing room to re-instituting a fine system, or simply tacking on an additional two-minute penalty to offset the original call is being discussed by hockey operations and will at some point be presented to all NHL general managers for further discussion.
We were unable to confirm, but rumors suggest this will be the Kesler pic:
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (66)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)