Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
In August, news broke from the NHL’s Rule Enforcement Meetings that the creation of a “divers list” — a log of the league’s most frequent fakers — was in the works.
Now, one of the names on that list has gone public.
“Kesler has been identified as an offender,” Dreger explains. “While Kesler plays the game hard, he has been known to exaggerate contact to gain an advantage.”
Chicago’s Dan Carcillo and Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin were also mentioned in Dreger’s report. Both had instances during the playoffs (Carcillo in 2010, Malkin this past April) that drew criticism for “trying to mislead referees.”
Along with Kesler, the trio could face some serious humiliation for their antics once play resumes.
Everything from posting pictures of each culprit in every NHL dressing room to re-instituting a fine system, or simply tacking on an additional two-minute penalty to offset the original call is being discussed by hockey operations and will at some point be presented to all NHL general managers for further discussion.
We were unable to confirm, but rumors suggest this will be the Kesler pic:
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)