Sep 20, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Hot prospect Nathan MacKinnon took the top spot in the preseason edition of TSN’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings. In fact, he was a unanimous No. 1 choice among the 10 scouts.
The Cole Harbour, N.S., native (same as Sidney Crosby), who left home to play prep school hockey at Shattuck-St. Mary’s (same as Sidney Crosby) before being chosen first overall in the Quebec League draft (same as Sidney Crosby), starts this season as the favorite to be the first pick in the NHL draft following a lockout (same as Sidney Crosby).
Even with a unanimous nod for MacKinnon, TSN’s scouts say that Seth Jones has a shot at being the top pick if a given team needs defense more than offense. All but one scout ranked Jones second overall.
If the two top prospects jockey for the first spot as expected, the real drama might begin at No. 3.
Either way, a lot can change between today and the 2013 draft.
While we wait, perhaps it’s time to come up with a “Fail for Nail” type slogan for the top picks. Let’s start off with “Not winnin’ for MacKinnon” and “Jonesing for Jones.”
(You could probably do better.)
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 0
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 46
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL