Sep 20, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Hot prospect Nathan MacKinnon took the top spot in the preseason edition of TSN’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings. In fact, he was a unanimous No. 1 choice among the 10 scouts.
The Cole Harbour, N.S., native (same as Sidney Crosby), who left home to play prep school hockey at Shattuck-St. Mary’s (same as Sidney Crosby) before being chosen first overall in the Quebec League draft (same as Sidney Crosby), starts this season as the favorite to be the first pick in the NHL draft following a lockout (same as Sidney Crosby).
Even with a unanimous nod for MacKinnon, TSN’s scouts say that Seth Jones has a shot at being the top pick if a given team needs defense more than offense. All but one scout ranked Jones second overall.
If the two top prospects jockey for the first spot as expected, the real drama might begin at No. 3.
Either way, a lot can change between today and the 2013 draft.
While we wait, perhaps it’s time to come up with a “Fail for Nail” type slogan for the top picks. Let’s start off with “Not winnin’ for MacKinnon” and “Jonesing for Jones.”
(You could probably do better.)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)