Sep 20, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Hot prospect Nathan MacKinnon took the top spot in the preseason edition of TSN’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings. In fact, he was a unanimous No. 1 choice among the 10 scouts.
The Cole Harbour, N.S., native (same as Sidney Crosby), who left home to play prep school hockey at Shattuck-St. Mary’s (same as Sidney Crosby) before being chosen first overall in the Quebec League draft (same as Sidney Crosby), starts this season as the favorite to be the first pick in the NHL draft following a lockout (same as Sidney Crosby).
Even with a unanimous nod for MacKinnon, TSN’s scouts say that Seth Jones has a shot at being the top pick if a given team needs defense more than offense. All but one scout ranked Jones second overall.
If the two top prospects jockey for the first spot as expected, the real drama might begin at No. 3.
Either way, a lot can change between today and the 2013 draft.
While we wait, perhaps it’s time to come up with a “Fail for Nail” type slogan for the top picks. Let’s start off with “Not winnin’ for MacKinnon” and “Jonesing for Jones.”
(You could probably do better.)
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22