Sep 20, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Hot prospect Nathan MacKinnon took the top spot in the preseason edition of TSN’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings. In fact, he was a unanimous No. 1 choice among the 10 scouts.
The Cole Harbour, N.S., native (same as Sidney Crosby), who left home to play prep school hockey at Shattuck-St. Mary’s (same as Sidney Crosby) before being chosen first overall in the Quebec League draft (same as Sidney Crosby), starts this season as the favorite to be the first pick in the NHL draft following a lockout (same as Sidney Crosby).
Even with a unanimous nod for MacKinnon, TSN’s scouts say that Seth Jones has a shot at being the top pick if a given team needs defense more than offense. All but one scout ranked Jones second overall.
If the two top prospects jockey for the first spot as expected, the real drama might begin at No. 3.
Either way, a lot can change between today and the 2013 draft.
While we wait, perhaps it’s time to come up with a “Fail for Nail” type slogan for the top picks. Let’s start off with “Not winnin’ for MacKinnon” and “Jonesing for Jones.”
(You could probably do better.)
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 14
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 15
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39