Sep 20, 2012, 10:48 PM EDT
Many NHL players will bide their time in foreign leagues – particularly guys still in their prime years – but Ryan Getzlaf told the Orange County Register that he’s staying home instead.
Getzlaf said that spending time with his family is a higher priority than playing overseas.
“I’m at a point now where I have a young boy at home,” Getzlaf said. “It’s nice to spend time with him and [my wife and] I have another baby due in December. It’s kind of at a point where I don’t really have the option to go over to Europe right now with my son and one on the way.
The 27-year-old power forward was cutting his teeth with the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen during the last lockout before making his NHL debut in the 2005-06 season.
Perhaps Getzlaf will enjoy a little time out of the sporting public’s eye after getting hassled for allegedly starting some trouble during the World Hockey Championships in Finland, too.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Drastic reduction in ice time in Game 2 compared to Game 1.
May 17, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Continue the debate.
May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sid the Kid nets three.
May 17, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
Ottawa hanging around in the third period.
May 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Played once in these playoffs.
May 17, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Pittsburgh up in Game 2, up in the series.
May 17, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken thumb.
May 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Sharks GM Doug Wilson.
May 17, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Oh, and Adam Burish has a broken hand.
May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Shots haven’t been a problem
May 17, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Seth Jones, Nathan McKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all on hand.
May 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Well, that was certainly unexpected.
May 17, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Both are tall defensemen, but only one is getting kudos for his conditioning.
May 17, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
“He’s trying to do things the right way.”
May 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic would be cool with that probably.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness