Sep 20, 2012, 10:48 PM EST
Many NHL players will bide their time in foreign leagues – particularly guys still in their prime years – but Ryan Getzlaf told the Orange County Register that he’s staying home instead.
Getzlaf said that spending time with his family is a higher priority than playing overseas.
“I’m at a point now where I have a young boy at home,” Getzlaf said. “It’s nice to spend time with him and [my wife and] I have another baby due in December. It’s kind of at a point where I don’t really have the option to go over to Europe right now with my son and one on the way.
The 27-year-old power forward was cutting his teeth with the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen during the last lockout before making his NHL debut in the 2005-06 season.
Perhaps Getzlaf will enjoy a little time out of the sporting public’s eye after getting hassled for allegedly starting some trouble during the World Hockey Championships in Finland, too.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)