Sep 20, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild’s goalie injured his ankle during informal practices (or “professional beer league hockey”), putting his deal with the KHL’s Dinamo Minsk in jeopardy.
Russo reports that it’s just a minor injury and he could still sign with Minsk if the spot remains open in a few weeks. In the mean time, Backstrom will reportedly stay in Minnesota.
The Wild’s current No. 1 goalie has ample motivation to work on his game during the work stoppage.
He’s handsomely paid at $6 million per year, but he’s entering the last season of that deal.
Even if injuries factored into the equation, it’s noteworthy that Harding played in 34 games to Backstrom’s 46 last season.
If the Finnish netminder wants to hold off Harding, he likely must hope to shake off that injury and play for Minsk – or someone else – sooner rather than later.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 57
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination