Sep 20, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
Another day, another player jumping to the KHL.
This time it’s Columbus forward Artem Anisimov, returning home to play for the club team of his youth, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.
The news was made official early Thursday morning by Lokomotiv’s official Twitter account, announcing that Animisov — who played for the club at the junior and senior levels before joining the New York Rangers — would return to bolster a squad devastated by the 2011 air disaster.
Anisimov will join a number of ex-NHLers in Yaroslavl. Viktor Kozlov, Mark Flood, Nicklas Hagman, Staffan Kronwall, Curtis Sanford, Sami Lepisto and Vitaly Vishnevsky are already with the team and it’s possible other current NHLers could follow suit, given the large number that have already signed on to play in the KHL.
The 24-year-old Russian is in the final year of a two-year, $3.75 million extension signed with the Rangers in 2011. Now a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets — by way of the Rick Nash trade — Anisimov finds himself in a precarious situation.
He’s entering a contract year, with a new team, but has yet to debut for the Jackets because of the lockout and is now taking the added risk of playing overseas.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)