Sep 19, 2012, 7:55 PM EDT
When the current lockout is over, we might not have to wait long for Vladimir Tarasenko to make his NHL debut. For now though, Tarasenko has returned to Russia.
Tarasenko will rejoin SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, according to Andy Strickland. He had 23 goals and 47 points in 54 KHL contests last season.
The St. Louis Blues assigned Tarasenko to AHL Peoria to give him the option to stay in North America if he wanted to. However, he ultimately opted to play overseas under these circumstances.
It will provide him with the opportunity to play against many of the top hockey players in the world as locked out NHL stars take refuge in the KHL. He’ll also get to play on the same team as Ilya Kovalchuk.
Still, his decision contrasts one of the other top prospects who was projected to make the transition from Europe to North American hockey this season. The Minnesota Wild’s Mikael Granlund is expected to spend the lockout with AHL Houston after getting 51 points in 45 games with HIFK Helsinki of SM-liiga in 2011-12.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)