Sep 19, 2012, 7:55 PM EST
When the current lockout is over, we might not have to wait long for Vladimir Tarasenko to make his NHL debut. For now though, Tarasenko has returned to Russia.
Tarasenko will rejoin SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, according to Andy Strickland. He had 23 goals and 47 points in 54 KHL contests last season.
The St. Louis Blues assigned Tarasenko to AHL Peoria to give him the option to stay in North America if he wanted to. However, he ultimately opted to play overseas under these circumstances.
It will provide him with the opportunity to play against many of the top hockey players in the world as locked out NHL stars take refuge in the KHL. He’ll also get to play on the same team as Ilya Kovalchuk.
Still, his decision contrasts one of the other top prospects who was projected to make the transition from Europe to North American hockey this season. The Minnesota Wild’s Mikael Granlund is expected to spend the lockout with AHL Houston after getting 51 points in 45 games with HIFK Helsinki of SM-liiga in 2011-12.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 14
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)