Sep 19, 2012, 7:55 PM EST
When the current lockout is over, we might not have to wait long for Vladimir Tarasenko to make his NHL debut. For now though, Tarasenko has returned to Russia.
Tarasenko will rejoin SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL, according to Andy Strickland. He had 23 goals and 47 points in 54 KHL contests last season.
The St. Louis Blues assigned Tarasenko to AHL Peoria to give him the option to stay in North America if he wanted to. However, he ultimately opted to play overseas under these circumstances.
It will provide him with the opportunity to play against many of the top hockey players in the world as locked out NHL stars take refuge in the KHL. He’ll also get to play on the same team as Ilya Kovalchuk.
Still, his decision contrasts one of the other top prospects who was projected to make the transition from Europe to North American hockey this season. The Minnesota Wild’s Mikael Granlund is expected to spend the lockout with AHL Houston after getting 51 points in 45 games with HIFK Helsinki of SM-liiga in 2011-12.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)