Sep 19, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Hockey fans starved for action during the NHL lockout might want to turn their attention to Switzerland’s National A League.
Having already secured the services of Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, Mark Streit and Rick Nash, the Swiss league added another NHL star on Wednesday in the form of Ottawa’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
The 29-year-old center will join the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers, a team that features ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Robbie Earl, Juraj Kolnik, Peter Sejna and Derrick Walser.
Spezza finished fourth in the NHL in scoring last year with 84 points, the fourth-highest total of his career. He tied a career-best with 34 goals and led the Sens in both playoff goals (three) and points (five).
In addition to Spezza, Thornton, Streit, Couture and Nash, the Swiss league has also secured the services of a number of less notable NHLers.
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)