Sep 19, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
Hockey fans starved for action during the NHL lockout might want to turn their attention to Switzerland’s National A League.
Having already secured the services of Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, Mark Streit and Rick Nash, the Swiss league added another NHL star on Wednesday in the form of Ottawa’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
The 29-year-old center will join the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers, a team that features ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Robbie Earl, Juraj Kolnik, Peter Sejna and Derrick Walser.
Spezza finished fourth in the NHL in scoring last year with 84 points, the fourth-highest total of his career. He tied a career-best with 34 goals and led the Sens in both playoff goals (three) and points (five).
In addition to Spezza, Thornton, Streit, Couture and Nash, the Swiss league has also secured the services of a number of less notable NHLers.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 10
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)