Sep 19, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
Hockey fans starved for action during the NHL lockout might want to turn their attention to Switzerland’s National A League.
Having already secured the services of Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, Mark Streit and Rick Nash, the Swiss league added another NHL star on Wednesday in the form of Ottawa’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
The 29-year-old center will join the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers, a team that features ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Robbie Earl, Juraj Kolnik, Peter Sejna and Derrick Walser.
Spezza finished fourth in the NHL in scoring last year with 84 points, the fourth-highest total of his career. He tied a career-best with 34 goals and led the Sens in both playoff goals (three) and points (five).
In addition to Spezza, Thornton, Streit, Couture and Nash, the Swiss league has also secured the services of a number of less notable NHLers.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)