Sep 19, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
Hockey fans starved for action during the NHL lockout might want to turn their attention to Switzerland’s National A League.
Having already secured the services of Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, Mark Streit and Rick Nash, the Swiss league added another NHL star on Wednesday in the form of Ottawa’s leading scorer, Jason Spezza.
The 29-year-old center will join the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers, a team that features ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Robbie Earl, Juraj Kolnik, Peter Sejna and Derrick Walser.
Spezza finished fourth in the NHL in scoring last year with 84 points, the fourth-highest total of his career. He tied a career-best with 34 goals and led the Sens in both playoff goals (three) and points (five).
In addition to Spezza, Thornton, Streit, Couture and Nash, the Swiss league has also secured the services of a number of less notable NHLers.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)