Sep 19, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
More details are emerging in the wake of Francois Allaire’s decision to quit as Maple Leafs goaltending guru.
Just to get everyone up to speed…
Allaire cited interference from Toronto’s coaching staff and management as his reason for moving on, telling the National Post, “If that’s the way they want to operate, then I’m not there.”
Predictably, Leafs GM Brian Burke shot back the very next day. While Burke didn’t deny there was interference, he said Allaire’s refusal to adapt to modern goaltending techniques forced the club to step in before and during the team’s disastrous 7-18-4 finish to a once-promising season.
Which brings us to today’s report in the Toronto Star, in which we learn (via Burke, presumably) that Allaire had bickered with the Leafs’ coaching staff for much of the season and had finally been presented with an ultimatum by head coach Randy Carlyle. Allaire could either agree to the terms of it, or he wouldn’t be back in 2012-13.
The list included: working a maximum 17 days a month, including six with the Marlies, rather than being around the team every day; apologizing to the coaches on staff he had offended; and a commitment to teaching a more aggressive goaltending style.
Not surprisingly, Allaire would have none of it and chose to leave.
Now, to be fair, most of us have worked at places where people had differences of opinion (Halford and I routinely fight when he’s wrong and I’m right), but the fact all of the above is playing out in public doesn’t bode well for Burke’s future with the organization.
If things in Toronto don’t turn around, and soon, the new owners will need to go in a different direction. (For instance, towards the playoffs.)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)