Sep 19, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
The majority of Canadians – 52 percent of them to be specific – who live in the country’s seven NHL markets say it’s not important to them if the league and players reach a new collective-bargaining agreement and the season can begin.
Those findings according to a recent telephone survey by NRG Research Group and Peak Communicators.
So, what do the pollsters conclude?
“The response shows Canadians are less angry about the lockout than one may expect,” said Andrew Enns, president of NRG Research Group. “This is the third lockout in 20 years. Our results would indicate this may be having an effect on the fan base.”
But do the results actually indicate that? Because believe it or not, there exist Canadians that don’t care about hockey whatsoever. (They’re more into curling maybe.)
In fact, the poll says 41 percent of respondents in the seven NHL cities don’t follow hockey. Only 12 percent call themselves hardcore fans, with another 17 percent described as “interested followers” throughout the season. The others only perk up during the playoffs.
It might also be helpful if there was a baseline – say, a poll from the start of the 2004-05 lockout – to compare the findings.
Full disclosure: I’m Canadian and like hockey.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 43
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 11
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (48)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)