Sep 19, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has joined his boyhood club in the KHL, according to the team’s website. The locked out captain of the Capitals spent four seasons with Dynamo Moscow before coming to the NHL, and now he’ll spend at least part of one more.
Ovechkin’s salary is reportedly worth 65 percent of the $9 million he was set to earn in Washington this season, so just under $6 million.
No, it’s not tax-free, but it’s more than most NHLers (if not every NHLer) will be making in salary during the lockout (not counting signing bonuses).
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)