Sep 19, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has joined his boyhood club in the KHL, according to the team’s website. The locked out captain of the Capitals spent four seasons with Dynamo Moscow before coming to the NHL, and now he’ll spend at least part of one more.
Ovechkin’s salary is reportedly worth 65 percent of the $9 million he was set to earn in Washington this season, so just under $6 million.
No, it’s not tax-free, but it’s more than most NHLers (if not every NHLer) will be making in salary during the lockout (not counting signing bonuses).
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)