Sep 19, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has joined his boyhood club in the KHL, according to the team’s website. The locked out captain of the Capitals spent four seasons with Dynamo Moscow before coming to the NHL, and now he’ll spend at least part of one more.
Ovechkin’s salary is reportedly worth 65 percent of the $9 million he was set to earn in Washington this season, so just under $6 million.
No, it’s not tax-free, but it’s more than most NHLers (if not every NHLer) will be making in salary during the lockout (not counting signing bonuses).
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)