Sep 19, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin has joined his boyhood club in the KHL, according to the team’s website. The locked out captain of the Capitals spent four seasons with Dynamo Moscow before coming to the NHL, and now he’ll spend at least part of one more.
Ovechkin’s salary is reportedly worth 65 percent of the $9 million he was set to earn in Washington this season, so just under $6 million.
No, it’s not tax-free, but it’s more than most NHLers (if not every NHLer) will be making in salary during the lockout (not counting signing bonuses).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5