Sep 19, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT
The NHL has announced the cancellation of its first week of preseason games.
The exhibition campaign was set to start on Sunday, Sept. 23 with a game between the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators. That contest, along with 59 others between the 23rd and 30th, have been scrapped as a result of the current work stoppage.
Several high-profile preseason games have been lost as a result, including the much-anticipated Frozen Fury, an annual Los Angeles Kings game held in Las Vegas, NV. (Frozen Fury 15 was set to go on Sept. 29 between the Kings and Avs.)
Other noteworthy games to be cancelled include:
Sept. 25: Minnesota vs. Dallas (was to be played in Boise, ID)
Sept. 26: Columbus vs. Washington (was to be played in Baltimore, MD)
Sept. 27: Edmonton vs. NY Islanders (was to be played in Regina, SK)
In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ont., has been postponed to 2013.
(Bringing the overall total to 61.)
Cancelled: Isles-Devils at Barclays Center (make that 62!)
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 5
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6