Sep 19, 2012, 4:53 PM EST
The NHL has announced the cancellation of its first week of preseason games.
The exhibition campaign was set to start on Sunday, Sept. 23 with a game between the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators. That contest, along with 59 others between the 23rd and 30th, have been scrapped as a result of the current work stoppage.
Several high-profile preseason games have been lost as a result, including the much-anticipated Frozen Fury, an annual Los Angeles Kings game held in Las Vegas, NV. (Frozen Fury 15 was set to go on Sept. 29 between the Kings and Avs.)
Other noteworthy games to be cancelled include:
Sept. 25: Minnesota vs. Dallas (was to be played in Boise, ID)
Sept. 26: Columbus vs. Washington (was to be played in Baltimore, MD)
Sept. 27: Edmonton vs. NY Islanders (was to be played in Regina, SK)
In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ont., has been postponed to 2013.
(Bringing the overall total to 61.)
Cancelled: Isles-Devils at Barclays Center (make that 62!)
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10