Sep 19, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT
The NHL has announced the cancellation of its first week of preseason games.
The exhibition campaign was set to start on Sunday, Sept. 23 with a game between the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators. That contest, along with 59 others between the 23rd and 30th, have been scrapped as a result of the current work stoppage.
Several high-profile preseason games have been lost as a result, including the much-anticipated Frozen Fury, an annual Los Angeles Kings game held in Las Vegas, NV. (Frozen Fury 15 was set to go on Sept. 29 between the Kings and Avs.)
Other noteworthy games to be cancelled include:
Sept. 25: Minnesota vs. Dallas (was to be played in Boise, ID)
Sept. 26: Columbus vs. Washington (was to be played in Baltimore, MD)
Sept. 27: Edmonton vs. NY Islanders (was to be played in Regina, SK)
In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for Oct. 3 in Belleville, Ont., has been postponed to 2013.
(Bringing the overall total to 61.)
Cancelled: Isles-Devils at Barclays Center (make that 62!)
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25