Sep 19, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
A German League general manager has been contacted by “more than 30″ NHL agents looking to place their clients in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga.
Peter Lee, GM of Berlin Eisbaeren (the Polar Bears!), claims he’s been inundated with offers since the lockout began, suggesting the push to fill import spots is already on.
While Sweden has blocked teams from signing locked-out NHLers, Russia, Switzerland and the Czech league are welcoming them with open arms. Christian Ehrhoff of the Buffalo Sabres is the only NHL player in the German league, having agreed to sign with Krefeld.
Lee is taking a wait and see approach.
“I have mixed feelings: It’s nice to get these players but you don’t know how long they’re going to be around,” he said. “Short-term it may not be bad as long as you don’t fill up your team with these players. That could end up being bad.”
With nine import spots — and two more available in case of injury — the league has plenty of room for NHLers. Teams have to be careful, though, because the import cards are not transferable.
That last bit is important, because German League teams risk “burning” import cards on short-term NHL rentals.
Doesn’t appear to be much of an issue for Lee, though, as he’s had success coaxing players to Berlin. During the last lockout, Canadiens forward Erik Cole made the move early and went on to score 27 points in 39 games.
Cole was later joined by Caps goalie Olaf Kolzig, who played nine games for the Polar Bears.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)