Sep 19, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
In 2005, there was no NHL playoffs and therefore no Stanley Cup winner for the first time since the 1919 flu epidemic. After breaking the streak that was closing in on the century mark, the Cup was awarded a mere seven times before the NHL entered yet another lockout.
Following the canceled 2004-05 campaign, a Toronto group challenged the NHL’s sole possession of the Stanley Cup. They filed a claim in Ontario Superior Court and won.
The Cup’s trustees are not obligated to award Lord Stanley’s Mug to a non-NHL team if a lockout eliminates the 2012-13 season, but they have the option to do so. Still, that’s a power they don’t seem likely to exercise, based on a National Post report.
“If there’s no season, well, it’s just one of those years, as we did before, where there was no trophy presented,” Cup trustee Brian O’Neill said. “It’s still an NHL trophy.”
Fellow trustee Ian “Scotty” Morrison added, “The chances of both Brian and I agreeing that it should go to any group that plays for it, I wouldn’t hold your breath.”
The circumstances might be different, but once again the Stanley Cup is in danger of going unused.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)