Sep 19, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
In 2005, there was no NHL playoffs and therefore no Stanley Cup winner for the first time since the 1919 flu epidemic. After breaking the streak that was closing in on the century mark, the Cup was awarded a mere seven times before the NHL entered yet another lockout.
Following the canceled 2004-05 campaign, a Toronto group challenged the NHL’s sole possession of the Stanley Cup. They filed a claim in Ontario Superior Court and won.
The Cup’s trustees are not obligated to award Lord Stanley’s Mug to a non-NHL team if a lockout eliminates the 2012-13 season, but they have the option to do so. Still, that’s a power they don’t seem likely to exercise, based on a National Post report.
“If there’s no season, well, it’s just one of those years, as we did before, where there was no trophy presented,” Cup trustee Brian O’Neill said. “It’s still an NHL trophy.”
Fellow trustee Ian “Scotty” Morrison added, “The chances of both Brian and I agreeing that it should go to any group that plays for it, I wouldn’t hold your breath.”
The circumstances might be different, but once again the Stanley Cup is in danger of going unused.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)