Sep 19, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
The exodus continues.
Detroit Red Wings forward Valtteri Filppula became the latest locked-out NHLer to find work overseas on Wednesday, agreeing to terms with Finnish league outfit Jokerit.
The move comes as no surprise given Filppula’s ties to the organization — he played with Jokerit before joining the Red Wings organization following the lockout.
During the last work stoppage, the 28-year-old Finn was joined by a number of locked-out players on one of the SM-liiga’s most successful teams. Jokerit’s 2004-05 squad included Filppula, Tim Thomas, Brian Campbell, Sami Lepisto, Glen Metropolit and Ossi Vaananen.
Filppula is coming of a career year — 23G-43A-66PTS — and is the second Detroit player to sign overseas within the last 24 hours. Earlier, it was announced that Pavel Datsyuk had agreed to terms with KHL powerhouse CSKA Moscow.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks