Sep 19, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
Glendale’s interim City Manager Horatio Skeete has prepared three scenarios involving the Phoenix Coyotes, based on a report by the Arizona Republic.
All three scenarios suggest the city is in dire financial straits.
The projected best case scenario, from a budget perspective, is that a sales-tax hike goes forward and Glendale restructures its arena payment plan.
Under the current proposal, Glendale would pay prospective Greg Jamison buyer $94 million over the initial five years of a $300 million, 20-year plan, but Skeete wants that reduced to $72 million.
The next scenario is that the voters reject the sales-tax hike, but the city still gets its restructured arena payment plan, and the third is that the Phoenix Coyotes leave. What’s obviously missing is a scenario where the city goes with the original $300 million plan and the Coyotes stay in Glendale.
It’s also worth noting that all three of these scenarios are projected to result in the city taking a financial hit annually over the next five years. Even if the sales-tax stays in place and the arena payment plan is restructured, Glendale would need to reduce expenses by $3 million this year and $6 million each of the following four years.
Jamison needs to secure a lease before he can buy the team. At this point, the Globe and Mail suggests that the odds of Jamison completing his purchase are “bleak.”
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games