Sep 18, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Rather than head to Europe, a number of NHL players are contemplating a startup league in Quebec.
Following up on a story reported by True Hockey, CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio spoke with one of the Flyers’ French-Canadian players — Daniel Briere — who said teammates Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais are trying to organize a series of games in their home province.
“They’re trying to get something going where the players of Quebec would play each other. I was invited to see if I was interested, but I don’t think they have anything formal,” Briere said. “I’m looking at all the options. There are many options now that I’m looking at.
“We’ll see. I want to wait till the end of this week first and then kind of evaluate the options.”
The idea of a Quebec-based barnstorm league is similar to what ex-NHLer Joel Bouchard organized during the 2004-05 lockout.
The league toured throughout Quebec and all proceeds from the McDonald’s Caravan went to charity, something the proposed incarnation is planning as well.
Briere recalled Bouchard’s league and spoke glowingly about the legacy it left behind.
“They traveled and called it the caravan and they traveled all over Quebec with different games every weekend,” Briere said. “I didn’t get to participate in that because I was in Switzerland, but it was a lot of fun from what I heard.”
As for the 2012 lockout edition, it’s believed teams would be based in Quebec City and Montreal, with the possibility of adding clubs in Toronto and Ottawa.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)