Sep 18, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Rather than head to Europe, a number of NHL players are contemplating a startup league in Quebec.
Following up on a story reported by True Hockey, CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio spoke with one of the Flyers’ French-Canadian players — Daniel Briere — who said teammates Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais are trying to organize a series of games in their home province.
“They’re trying to get something going where the players of Quebec would play each other. I was invited to see if I was interested, but I don’t think they have anything formal,” Briere said. “I’m looking at all the options. There are many options now that I’m looking at.
“We’ll see. I want to wait till the end of this week first and then kind of evaluate the options.”
The idea of a Quebec-based barnstorm league is similar to what ex-NHLer Joel Bouchard organized during the 2004-05 lockout.
The league toured throughout Quebec and all proceeds from the McDonald’s Caravan went to charity, something the proposed incarnation is planning as well.
Briere recalled Bouchard’s league and spoke glowingly about the legacy it left behind.
“They traveled and called it the caravan and they traveled all over Quebec with different games every weekend,” Briere said. “I didn’t get to participate in that because I was in Switzerland, but it was a lot of fun from what I heard.”
As for the 2012 lockout edition, it’s believed teams would be based in Quebec City and Montreal, with the possibility of adding clubs in Toronto and Ottawa.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)