Sep 18, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Mike Modano has a message for locked out NHL players – it ain’t worth it.
At least, it wasn’t for him.
The future Hall of Famer tells ESPN the Magazine that sitting out the entire 2004-05 season was a mistake. As such, he recommends the players find a way to get a deal done before they go through the same thing.
“It’s money you feel you never get back. At some point, we were sold a bill of goods,” Modano said. “Everybody was buying it. Everybody thought, ‘Let’s not let each other down. Let’s do it for the future of the game. Blah, blah, blah.’ You’re only in the game so long.”
Other ex-players have voiced a similar message.
In November, Dave Andreychuk advised locked out NBA players to get a deal done as soon as possible: “In the end, it will be worse.”
In October, Bill Guerin looked back on the 2004-05 lockout and concluded: “Burning a year was ridiculous.”
Or, just reality?
Regardless, it’s not something Donald Fehr will be happy to hear as players prepare to go without NHL paychecks and union solidarity is tested for real.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)