Sep 18, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Mike Modano has a message for locked out NHL players – it ain’t worth it.
At least, it wasn’t for him.
The future Hall of Famer tells ESPN the Magazine that sitting out the entire 2004-05 season was a mistake. As such, he recommends the players find a way to get a deal done before they go through the same thing.
“It’s money you feel you never get back. At some point, we were sold a bill of goods,” Modano said. “Everybody was buying it. Everybody thought, ‘Let’s not let each other down. Let’s do it for the future of the game. Blah, blah, blah.’ You’re only in the game so long.”
Other ex-players have voiced a similar message.
In November, Dave Andreychuk advised locked out NBA players to get a deal done as soon as possible: “In the end, it will be worse.”
In October, Bill Guerin looked back on the 2004-05 lockout and concluded: “Burning a year was ridiculous.”
Or, just reality?
Regardless, it’s not something Donald Fehr will be happy to hear as players prepare to go without NHL paychecks and union solidarity is tested for real.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)