Sep 18, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Big college hockey news — the four captains of North Dakota’s men’s hockey team have been suspended for the season opener after a team party on Saturday, Sept. 15.
Captain Andrew MacWilliam, Toronto’s seventh-round pick at the 2008 draft, and assistants Danny Kristo (Montreal, 2nd round 2008), Corban Knight (Florida, 5th round 2009) and Carter Rowney will miss UND’s Oct. 19 game against Alaska Anchorage.
The decision comes just weeks after MacWilliam (pictured) was named captain for his senior season.
While details from the team party aren’t known, the North Dakota athletic department issued this statement:
“The behavior in this situation was unacceptable,” [UND Director of Athletics Brian] Faison said. “Measures taken by the athletics department do not preclude possible additional measures by the department, or actions by the University or local and state authorities.”
“Recent actions by our team are not a good representation of our place as role models within our community,” said UND head men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol. “We have young men of high character in our locker room, but our players, and in particular our leaders, must be accountable for their actions.”
In addition to the suspension of the team captains, Faison also announced several additional team disciplinary measures including, but not limited to:
- Athletics Department-issued team probation under which any further violations by a team member could result in immediate reduction of scholarship, suspension from competition, or expulsion from the program.
- The implementation of a mandatory team community service program
- Weekly team alcohol education programming
This isn’t the first time the hockey program has found itself in hot water.
In 2009, current Toronto Maple Leafs forward Matt Frattin was arrested with driving under the influence — just one month after he received a year’s probation for an incident in which he and a teammate were accused of throwing dinnerware, a kitchen table and a lawnmower onto the street.
Yeah, a lawnmower.
Image courtesy UNDsports.com
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional