Sep 18, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Big college hockey news — the four captains of North Dakota’s men’s hockey team have been suspended for the season opener after a team party on Saturday, Sept. 15.
Captain Andrew MacWilliam, Toronto’s seventh-round pick at the 2008 draft, and assistants Danny Kristo (Montreal, 2nd round 2008), Corban Knight (Florida, 5th round 2009) and Carter Rowney will miss UND’s Oct. 19 game against Alaska Anchorage.
The decision comes just weeks after MacWilliam (pictured) was named captain for his senior season.
While details from the team party aren’t known, the North Dakota athletic department issued this statement:
“The behavior in this situation was unacceptable,” [UND Director of Athletics Brian] Faison said. “Measures taken by the athletics department do not preclude possible additional measures by the department, or actions by the University or local and state authorities.”
“Recent actions by our team are not a good representation of our place as role models within our community,” said UND head men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol. “We have young men of high character in our locker room, but our players, and in particular our leaders, must be accountable for their actions.”
In addition to the suspension of the team captains, Faison also announced several additional team disciplinary measures including, but not limited to:
- Athletics Department-issued team probation under which any further violations by a team member could result in immediate reduction of scholarship, suspension from competition, or expulsion from the program.
- The implementation of a mandatory team community service program
- Weekly team alcohol education programming
This isn’t the first time the hockey program has found itself in hot water.
In 2009, current Toronto Maple Leafs forward Matt Frattin was arrested with driving under the influence — just one month after he received a year’s probation for an incident in which he and a teammate were accused of throwing dinnerware, a kitchen table and a lawnmower onto the street.
Yeah, a lawnmower.
Image courtesy UNDsports.com
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)