Sep 18, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Where else but Toronto could the departure of a goaltending coach cause such a controversy?
As you might expect, Leafs GM Brian Burke had a message for Francois Allaire after the latter ripped the club on his way out the door for interfering with his tutoring of Toronto’s young goalies.
“I regret that I have to deal with this matter publicly but I feel the need to respond,” Burke told Mike Ulmer, a blogger for MapleLeafs.com. “Was there interference from the staff as he said there was? Yes. But it was done reluctantly and it was done to change elements of our goaltending that was sub-par.”
Burke explained that Allaire forced the club’s hand by failing to adjust to the latest goaltending techniques.
“The position has evolved in the last three to five years,” Burke said. “Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.”
“I think there was some confusion last year,” Reimer said. “A couple misunderstandings. I don’t know if everyone clicked last year. I mean, there was some trouble in some areas. I don’t know if I want to get into it too much or comment on it too much, but I know there was times he was frustrated we didn’t have more time to work on stuff.”
So not only did Reimer – a second-year goalie with no veteran to back him up – have to deal with the pressure that comes with playing in hockey’s biggest market on a team that hasn’t made the playoffs since before the last lockout, he also had a bunch of behind-the-scenes dysfunction heaped on his plate.
Shocking it didn’t work out.
Meanwhile, in Blue Jays news…
Today's a good reminder that basically, Toronto sports are a tire fire.—
Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) September 18, 2012
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 19
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 15
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6