Sep 18, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Where else but Toronto could the departure of a goaltending coach cause such a controversy?
As you might expect, Leafs GM Brian Burke had a message for Francois Allaire after the latter ripped the club on his way out the door for interfering with his tutoring of Toronto’s young goalies.
“I regret that I have to deal with this matter publicly but I feel the need to respond,” Burke told Mike Ulmer, a blogger for MapleLeafs.com. “Was there interference from the staff as he said there was? Yes. But it was done reluctantly and it was done to change elements of our goaltending that was sub-par.”
Burke explained that Allaire forced the club’s hand by failing to adjust to the latest goaltending techniques.
“The position has evolved in the last three to five years,” Burke said. “Nobody plays the classic stand-up any more either. Everything advances.”
“I think there was some confusion last year,” Reimer said. “A couple misunderstandings. I don’t know if everyone clicked last year. I mean, there was some trouble in some areas. I don’t know if I want to get into it too much or comment on it too much, but I know there was times he was frustrated we didn’t have more time to work on stuff.”
So not only did Reimer – a second-year goalie with no veteran to back him up – have to deal with the pressure that comes with playing in hockey’s biggest market on a team that hasn’t made the playoffs since before the last lockout, he also had a bunch of behind-the-scenes dysfunction heaped on his plate.
Shocking it didn’t work out.
Meanwhile, in Blue Jays news…
Today's a good reminder that basically, Toronto sports are a tire fire.—
Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) September 18, 2012
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 3
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 18
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights