Sep 18, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
Steve Bartlett doesn’t think the sky is falling. The veteran player agent that represents the likes of Ryan Callahan and Erik Cole believes the NHL lockout will be solved in a matter of weeks, not months.
Because unlike the last labor dispute that resulted in the cancellation of the 2004-05 season, the two main counterparts – commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr – have so far been respectful of each other, relatively speaking.
“Gary Bettman and (former union chief) Bob Goodenow hated each other,” Bartlett told the Edmonton Journal. “There’s no throwing of spears now. Nobody’s saying the other side are a ***holes.”
Bartlett believes the “tipping point” of the negotiations will be the Thanksgiving Showdown, NBC’s first nationally televised game on Nov. 23. (The same assertion has been made by a handful of players.)
Bartlett also knows it will be the marginal players that feel the real pinch of missed paychecks.
“The star players will be fine, but the third- and fourth-liners will feel the pain,” he said. “It’s more mental anguish for the stars.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)