Sep 18, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
He could start playing for the team by next week, according to Elliott.
The team amusingly asked for donations to help cover Kopitar’s insurance costs, although if it appears that might not be an issue if the dedicated site is any indication.
Sweden’s top league is still mulling over the decision to accept NHL players during the lockout, which opens up the chance for the lower league (HockeyAllsvenskan) to steal a few big names.
(Both forwards chose familiarity/family when making their overseas hockey-playing choices, as Berglund made it to the NHL after working up through that club’s system.)
So, how many points per game do you expect Kopitar to collect in that 14-team league?
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)