Sep 18, 2012, 7:18 PM EST
He could start playing for the team by next week, according to Elliott.
The team amusingly asked for donations to help cover Kopitar’s insurance costs, although if it appears that might not be an issue if the dedicated site is any indication.
Sweden’s top league is still mulling over the decision to accept NHL players during the lockout, which opens up the chance for the lower league (HockeyAllsvenskan) to steal a few big names.
(Both forwards chose familiarity/family when making their overseas hockey-playing choices, as Berglund made it to the NHL after working up through that club’s system.)
So, how many points per game do you expect Kopitar to collect in that 14-team league?
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)