Sep 17, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
The mass exodus of NHLers continues.
The first was Pavelec, who inked with HC Ocelari Trinec of the Czech Extraliga.
Trinec, the 2011 Extraliga champion, currently employs a couple of ex-NHLers, including Radek Bonk — the No. 3 overall pick at the 1994 draft — and Vaclav Varada.
It’s not surprising Pavelec returned to play in his native land, though it will be curious to see how the Jets monitor the situation, given he was charged with a DUI in the Czech Republic during the summer. Just months prior to the DUI charge, Pavelec signed a five-year, $19.5 million deal with Winnipeg.
As for the other Jet heading abroad, Ponikarovsky has inked a deal with Donbass Donetsk of the KHL.
The KHL’s lone representative from Ukraine, Donbass already snapped up another current NHLer (Flyers forward and Ukraine native Ruslan Fedotenko) to go along with its slew of ex-NHLers (Oskars Bartulis, Evgeni Dadonov, Erik Ersberg, Lukas Kaspar, Vaclav Nederost and Karel Pilar.)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)