Sep 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
A little more than a year after a shocking plane crash devastated the franchise and the hockey world at large, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl played its first home game since on Sunday.
The team lost 2-1 to Atlant Moscow Oblast in front of a “near-sellout crowd” of 9,046 fans, according to NHL.com.
Here’s a summary of the game:
Lokomotiv had initially jumped out to a 1-0 lead after Daniil Apalkov scored at 15:23 of the first period. After a scoreless second period however, Atlant tied the game at 5:22 of the third period on a shorthanded goal by Igor Ignatushkin. Nikolay Zherdev scored the game-winner for Atlant just more than eight minutes later at 13:30 of the third, and Atlant goalie Stanislav Galimov shut the door the rest of the way for the victory.
Even without a win, the franchise has come a long way from that jarring tragedy.
Lokomotiv is already well-stocked with former NHL players such as Niklas Hagman, Vitali Vishnevsky and Curtis Sanford.
(Lokomotiv patch image via the Pittsburgh Penguins.)
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)