Sep 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
A little more than a year after a shocking plane crash devastated the franchise and the hockey world at large, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl played its first home game since on Sunday.
The team lost 2-1 to Atlant Moscow Oblast in front of a “near-sellout crowd” of 9,046 fans, according to NHL.com.
Here’s a summary of the game:
Lokomotiv had initially jumped out to a 1-0 lead after Daniil Apalkov scored at 15:23 of the first period. After a scoreless second period however, Atlant tied the game at 5:22 of the third period on a shorthanded goal by Igor Ignatushkin. Nikolay Zherdev scored the game-winner for Atlant just more than eight minutes later at 13:30 of the third, and Atlant goalie Stanislav Galimov shut the door the rest of the way for the victory.
Even without a win, the franchise has come a long way from that jarring tragedy.
Lokomotiv is already well-stocked with former NHL players such as Niklas Hagman, Vitali Vishnevsky and Curtis Sanford.
(Lokomotiv patch image via the Pittsburgh Penguins.)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 11
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)