Sep 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
A little more than a year after a shocking plane crash devastated the franchise and the hockey world at large, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl played its first home game since on Sunday.
The team lost 2-1 to Atlant Moscow Oblast in front of a “near-sellout crowd” of 9,046 fans, according to NHL.com.
Here’s a summary of the game:
Lokomotiv had initially jumped out to a 1-0 lead after Daniil Apalkov scored at 15:23 of the first period. After a scoreless second period however, Atlant tied the game at 5:22 of the third period on a shorthanded goal by Igor Ignatushkin. Nikolay Zherdev scored the game-winner for Atlant just more than eight minutes later at 13:30 of the third, and Atlant goalie Stanislav Galimov shut the door the rest of the way for the victory.
Even without a win, the franchise has come a long way from that jarring tragedy.
Lokomotiv is already well-stocked with former NHL players such as Niklas Hagman, Vitali Vishnevsky and Curtis Sanford.
(Lokomotiv patch image via the Pittsburgh Penguins.)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)