Sep 17, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
It appears both are primed to re-join HC Davos, the team they suited up for during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Thornton confirmed the move to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
“Yes, just because my wife is from there, she has a home there, we go there five weeks in the summer to see her family and I actually train with Davos when I’m over there,” Thornton told ESPN.com over the phone Monday. “I know the team real well, and they know me. It’s a natural fit for me to go back there and play.”
Thornton said he’s planning on flying to Switzerland by the end of the week and could play as early as this weekend.
“Hopefully the lockout ends sooner rather than later, but I have to go play,” said the San Jose Sharks captain.
Thornton and Nash were the leading scorers for Davos in 2004-05, a team that featured fellow NHLer Niklas Hagman and the Von Arx brothers, Reto and Jan (who have since formed a dynamic tag team in the Swiss Wrestling Federation.)
In August, Davos president Gaudenz Domenigs said that both Thornton and Nash would likely play for his team should there be an NHL work stoppage.
That claim was refuted by Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, and Thornton’s agent (his brother, John) who said there was no truth to the rumor.
Image via suedostschweiz.ch.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (146)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)