Sep 17, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
It appears both are primed to re-join HC Davos, the team they suited up for during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Thornton confirmed the move to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
“Yes, just because my wife is from there, she has a home there, we go there five weeks in the summer to see her family and I actually train with Davos when I’m over there,” Thornton told ESPN.com over the phone Monday. “I know the team real well, and they know me. It’s a natural fit for me to go back there and play.”
Thornton said he’s planning on flying to Switzerland by the end of the week and could play as early as this weekend.
“Hopefully the lockout ends sooner rather than later, but I have to go play,” said the San Jose Sharks captain.
Thornton and Nash were the leading scorers for Davos in 2004-05, a team that featured fellow NHLer Niklas Hagman and the Von Arx brothers, Reto and Jan (who have since formed a dynamic tag team in the Swiss Wrestling Federation.)
In August, Davos president Gaudenz Domenigs said that both Thornton and Nash would likely play for his team should there be an NHL work stoppage.
That claim was refuted by Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, and Thornton’s agent (his brother, John) who said there was no truth to the rumor.
Image via suedostschweiz.ch.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)