Sep 17, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
It appears both are primed to re-join HC Davos, the team they suited up for during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Thornton confirmed the move to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
“Yes, just because my wife is from there, she has a home there, we go there five weeks in the summer to see her family and I actually train with Davos when I’m over there,” Thornton told ESPN.com over the phone Monday. “I know the team real well, and they know me. It’s a natural fit for me to go back there and play.”
Thornton said he’s planning on flying to Switzerland by the end of the week and could play as early as this weekend.
“Hopefully the lockout ends sooner rather than later, but I have to go play,” said the San Jose Sharks captain.
Thornton and Nash were the leading scorers for Davos in 2004-05, a team that featured fellow NHLer Niklas Hagman and the Von Arx brothers, Reto and Jan (who have since formed a dynamic tag team in the Swiss Wrestling Federation.)
In August, Davos president Gaudenz Domenigs said that both Thornton and Nash would likely play for his team should there be an NHL work stoppage.
That claim was refuted by Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, and Thornton’s agent (his brother, John) who said there was no truth to the rumor.
Image via suedostschweiz.ch.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control