Sep 17, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
It appears both are primed to re-join HC Davos, the team they suited up for during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Thornton confirmed the move to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
“Yes, just because my wife is from there, she has a home there, we go there five weeks in the summer to see her family and I actually train with Davos when I’m over there,” Thornton told ESPN.com over the phone Monday. “I know the team real well, and they know me. It’s a natural fit for me to go back there and play.”
Thornton said he’s planning on flying to Switzerland by the end of the week and could play as early as this weekend.
“Hopefully the lockout ends sooner rather than later, but I have to go play,” said the San Jose Sharks captain.
Thornton and Nash were the leading scorers for Davos in 2004-05, a team that featured fellow NHLer Niklas Hagman and the Von Arx brothers, Reto and Jan (who have since formed a dynamic tag team in the Swiss Wrestling Federation.)
In August, Davos president Gaudenz Domenigs said that both Thornton and Nash would likely play for his team should there be an NHL work stoppage.
That claim was refuted by Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, and Thornton’s agent (his brother, John) who said there was no truth to the rumor.
Image via suedostschweiz.ch.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)