Sep 15, 2012, 5:53 PM EST
NHL executive Bill Daly released a statement regarding the impending lockout and the fact that the two sides opted against a formal meeting today.
Here is Daly’s statement via SBNation’s Brandon Worley.
“We spoke today and determined that there was no point in convening a formal bargaining session in light of the fact that neither side is in a position to move off of its latest proposal,” Daly said. “I’m sure we will keep in touch in the coming days and schedule meetings to the extent they might be useful or appropriate. We are sorry for where we are. Not what we hoped or expected.
“It looks like we are heading into a work stoppage that neither the League nor any NHL Clubs wanted. We will continue to work hard to minimize the damage of this development, but ultimately, the Players Association and Players need to take responsibility for future growth of the game and the damage that they are causing with the hardline position they are taking.”
Daly’s statement backs up the NHLPA’s claim that the league said there was “no point” to having a formal meeting, although in different words.
Both statements attempt to court public opinion and the two sides will likely continue to do so for however long the lockout lasts.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 78
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)