Sep 15, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
If you’re waiting for your favorite restricted free agent to sign a new deal ahead of the lockout, you might be left disappointed.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports it’s highly unlikely any of Montreal’s P.K. Subban, New York’s Michael Del Zotto, Winnipeg’s Evander Kane, or Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly will sign new contracts before the CBA expires at 11:59 p.m. ET tonight. McKenzie says there’s “no chance” Subban or Del Zotto will get something done and Kane is equally unlikely.
Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports the Avalanche will wait until a new CBA is completed before locking up O’Reilly. His negotiations with the Avs have been particularly gruff as some believed his unwillingness to sign right away cost him a shot at being the team captain. Instead, 19 year-old Gabriel Landeskog was given the “C.”
Considering it’s taken this long for these RFA’s to get signed it’s no surprise that teams are waiting for a new CBA to be finished before committing. It’s not as if the players will be able to sign offer sheets during a lockout.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 14
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 15
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39