Sep 15, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
The Jets made the lockout AHL assignments today and two names that standout are a pair of former first-round picks.
Winnipeg sent Alexander Burmistrov to St. John’s in the AHL while sending 2011 first-round pick Mark Scheifele back to his junior team in Barrie of the OHL.
Burmistrov’s assignment is a curious one as he could stand to use more ice time in the minors but there’s a possibility he bolts to the KHL during the lockout as well. After being picked eighth overall in the 2010 draft, Burmistrov has had a rough go of it in both Atlanta and Winnipeg fighting for ice time.
Scheifele, on the other hand, could’ve been looking at a starting job in Winnipeg this year but another year in junior hockey might not be so bad for the 19 year-old. He had 23 goals and 63 points in Barrie last season.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 32
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 104
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (105)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement