Sep 15, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
The impending lockout is going to make a lot of AHL teams very happy with their sudden influx of talent. For instance, the Carolina Hurricanes affiliate in Charlotte.
The Canes sent down 28 players to their farm team and chief amongst them was 2011 Calder Trophy winner Jeff Skinner. Joining Skinner in Charlotte will be breakout young defenseman Justin Faulk as well as last year’s college signing Jeremy Welsh.
Skinner getting sent down comes off looking startling considering his rapid success in the league, but the kid is just 20 years-old and coming off a season that saw him miss 28 games to injury. Even after missing that many games he still scored 20 goals and added 24 assists.
Faulk was the Hurricanes’ leader in average time on ice and doing that as a rookie is stunning. In 66 games he scored eight goals from the blue line and instantly became a top player.
Seeing those two along with Welsh in the AHL should help make Charlotte an instantly fun team to keep an eye on during the lockout.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (162)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)